Welcome back to the 2nd episode of today’s lecture. Hope you are actively following the TECH. WEEK PROGRAM.
In this episode, we will looking into HOW TECHNOLOGY HAS IMPARTED THE WORLD IN DIFFERENT FIELDS .
We have been using technology so much these days in each and every domain of our lives, be it education, business or the regular household work, that have we ever taken out a second to wonder if it’s leaving a positive impact on our work or it’s just that we have been relying too much on it that we’ve become habitual to it, ignoring the direction of its impact?
1. IMPORTANT OF TECHNOLOGY IN THE EDUCATIONAL SECTOR: Earlier, technology in education was a debatable topic amongst the society. Everyone had their own views on modernizing education and making it technology aided. There were a huge number of positives and negatives to education technology. But, gradually as technology was embraced by the educational institutes, they realized the importance of technology in education. Its positives outnumbered the negatives and now, with technology, education has taken a whole new meaning that it leaves us with no doubt that our educational system has been transformed owing to the ever-advancing technology. Technology and education are a great combination if used together with a right reason and vision.
To elucidate on the topic of this article, I am more than definite that technology improves education to a great extent and it has now become a need for revolutionizing education for the better. With technology, educators, students and parents have a variety of learning tools at their fingertips.
Here are some of the ways in which technology improves education over time:
• Teachers can collaborate to share their ideas and resources online: They can communicate with others across the world in an instant, meet the shortcomings of their work, refine it and provide their students with the best. This approach definitely enhances the practice of teaching.
• Students can develop valuable research skills at a young age: Technology gives students immediate access to an abundance of quality information which leads to learning at much quicker rates than before.
• Students and teachers have access to an expanse of material: There are plenty of resourceful, credible websites available on the Internet that both teachers and students can utilize. The Internet also provides a variety of knowledge and doesn’t limit students to one person’s opinion.
• Online learning is now an equally credible option: Face-to-face interaction is huge, especially in the younger years, but some students work better when they can go at their own pace. Online education is now accredited and has changed the way we view education.
There are innumerous instances till date where we can see the improvement in education, once it embraced technology. I will state a few remarkable ones of them to provide you with a more realistic picture of the whole scenario.
Here’s the list along with the references to the originals:
• The Flipped Classroom: This popular technological approach has gotten to everybody’s ears by now. It is a practice in which, students watch lecture videos as homework and discussion is carried on them in the class-time by the teachers. It has resulted in a remarkably better student performance, with noticeable grade boost-up. Students can now learn at their own pace and save class-time for interaction.
• Long-term research indicative of the positives of technology on learning: Researches have been performed to address to the question, does the use of computer technology affect student achievement in traditional classrooms as compared to classrooms that do not use technology? An extensive literature search and a systematic review process were employed and insights about the state of the field, implications for technology use, and prospects for future were discussed.
• Educational Technology improves student learning outcomes: Evidence suggests that educational technologies can improve student achievement, so long as such tools are integrated thoughtfully into teaching and learning. When digital capabilities like, online environments are incorporated meaningfully into instruction, students have new opportunities to learn and achieve.
• The effect of technology on education depends on the design of instruction: The design of the instruction accounts for more variance in how and why people learn than the technology used to deliver the instruction. Educators and educational researchers should be encouraged to focus on determining how to better integrate the use of a given technology to facilitate learning, rather than asking if it works or if one is more effective than another.
Over the past years, a number of studies have shown benefits from the use of technology in education. The role of technology in Education sector is vital, and the question is no longer if technology enhances learning, but rather how do we improve our use of technology to enhance learning? I encourage you to think about more ways of how technology has improved education and how it can positively impact it in the near future.
2. IMPORTANCE OF TECHNOLOGY IN THE HEALTH SECTOR:
Technology is considered to be the driving force behind improvements in healthcare and, when you look at the rate of change and recent innovations, many find it hard not to agree with that observation.
Graduates of health informative will no doubt agree that technology is impacting many aspects of our lives as breakthroughs in data collection, research and treatments allow medical providers to use new tools and find fresh and innovative ways to practice medicine into the future.
Better and More Accessible Treatment
A number of industry analysts have observed that increased accessibility of treatment is one of the most tangible ways that technology has changed healthcare. Health IT opens up many more avenues of exploration and research, which allows experts to make healthcare more driven and effective than it has ever been.
Improved Care and Efficiency
Another key area that has grown and continues to do so is patient care. The use of information technology has made patient care safer and more reliable in most applications. The fact that nurses and doctors who are working on the frontline are now routinely using hand-held computers to record important real-time patient data and then sharing it instantly within their updated medical history is an excellent illustration of the benefits of health IT.
Being able to accumulate lab results, records of vital signs and other critical patient data into one centralized area has transformed the level of care and efficiency a patient can expect to receive when they enter the healthcare system. An increased level of efficiency in data collection means that a vast online resource of patient history is available to scientists, who are finding new ways to study trends and make medical breakthroughs at a faster rate.
Software Improves Healthcare and Disease Control. The development of specific software programs means that, for example, the World Health Organization has been able to classify illnesses, their causes and symptoms into a massive database that encompasses more than 18,000 individuals code.
This resource allows medical professionals and researchers to track, retrieve and utilize valuable data in the fight to control disease and provide better healthcare outcomes in general.
Software also plays a pivotal role in tracking procedures and using billing methods that not only reduce paperwork levels, but also allow practitioners to use this data to improve quality of care and all around efficiency.
Doctors report that they are deriving enormous benefits from the drive toward a total system of electronic medical records; patients enjoy the fact that software has created a greater degree of transparency in the healthcare system.
3. IMPORTANCE OF TECHNOLOGY IN BUSINESS: Communication is a very essential in business development. Communication involves the flow of information among business partners, consumers, distributors and employees. A business will use technology to speed up communication or information flow among these parties. Technology presents businesses with various communication tools which include email , visual communication ”share point” , mobile phones, internet , just to mention but a few. It is up to the business owners to know how to utilize these technologies and improve their performance.
Below I have listed some of the uses of technology in business communication.
• Integration of Technological communication tools: Technology creates an environment were data, internet protocol and voice networks can be combined to simplify business communication.
With a well executed plan, a business can save money and increase on its rate of production. If a business plans and manages its communication technology well, it can gain competitive advantage in the market which will result into business growth. For example, a business owner can use video conferencing technology to hold a meeting with their employees.
This will save them time as they do more other beneficial roles which can result into business growth. Also business managers can use technology to monitor and assign tasks to employees using electronic mails. This is good proof that technology in business communication can result into increased production.
• Strengthen of customer relationship: With the use of communication technology, your consumers will have more than one channel to contact you and voice out their concerns as regards to your service of products. For example. A business can set up a website for its services, through this website; customers can contact the business using the contact system on the website. On most service based websites, they include ‘’Send us feedback’’ option, which allows customers suggest areas of improvement in a service. This communication and exchange of ideas helps the business structure their service basing on customers needs.